Become a Support Parent
Becoming a Support Parent provides a unique opportunity to encourage a parent who is walking a similar path. We are always looking for parents who are at a place in their own journey to support another parent who requests a one-to-one parent match. We have found that to be an effective Support Parent, it is helpful to be at least one year out from your child’s diagnosis.
Steps to becoming a support parent:
- Fill out the form.
- A Parent to Parent staff member will contact you to learn more about you and your journey.
- Complete the Parent to Parent training.
- Start receiving matches.
What makes a good Support Parent?
- Communication skills: non-judgmental and active listening
- Self-awareness and self-reflection; understanding your own values and beliefs
- Maturity and empathy resulting from your own adaptation process
- Listening carefully rather than making assumptions or comparisons
- Share your own hopes, resources, and practical experiences
- Maintaining confidentiality is important to assure privacy and trust for both parents
- Relate respectfully to people of different backgrounds and cultures
Become a support parent form